Posts Tagged ‘Aussie Bride’
As the leaves turn golden brown, my mind is starting to wander to more thoughtful subjects, wedding season in Australia is drawing to a close and the colder months, while still full of weddings are more of a time of reflection, of planning, of thoughts.
As a chocolate orange cake bakes in the oven and I am taken to places where chocolate cake and cozy experiences exist – today has again reminded me of embracing these experiences as a part of your wedding.
Coziness for me is welcoming, an embrace and warmth. Nothing quite replaces that feeling when you get home from a long day of work and your other half has baked your favorite meal – the scents as it wafts past you. The sight of a pot of tea and a soft rug when you show up at a friend’s house for an afternoon chat.
Last week, I wrote up a wedding where a bride felt so wonderful she felt “right at home”. Little touches can enhance your guests’ experience at your wedding and help them feel like they’ve come home. Think of:
- Hot drinks pre-ceremony
- Soft rugs in a woven basket for guests during winter
- A pre-wedding event for your guests to mingle & get to know each other
- Hand written notes at place cards to those who have helped you greatly
- An attendee welcoming & directing guests as they arrive to your event
- Lots of signage for guests who are too shy to ask for help
- Soft pillows for guests to lean again in lounge areas
- Quiet corners filled with candlelight & plates of nibbles
- A sweet serenade from your band’s musician to a couple you know & love
- Sweet smelling flowers for guests to wear in their hair
- Provide your favorite soap & a few soft towels in the bathrooms
- Light your reception with candlelight & lamps
- Serve family favorites like your mum’s pumpkin soup, beef stews & home baked bread
Coziness doesn’t take much – it takes a little thought and a little love, but it can change the experience of your guests from a memorable event to one that warms the soul.
Polka Dot Bride is Australia’s premier wedding blog and is read by thousands of brides worldwide. Polka Dot Bride is ranked within the top 20 Australian Women Bloggers and #53 out of the Top 100 Australian Bloggers as of June 2009. Polka Dot Bride has a passion to provide information on the latest trends in weddings, and inspirational and creative ideas for the Australian bride. Ms Polka Dot’s aim is to create a fun, informative, and stylish blog that is engaged with, and inclusive of, its readers. She writes a daily feature on the blog that includes new ideas, real weddings, fabulous finds and the beautiful and the inspirational. Polka Dot Bride readers are stylish and savvy; they want to make their wedding stand out from the crowd. Ms. Polka Dot’s aim is to inspire brides and grooms to create the wedding of their dreams.
Resolutions: the word certainly sounds officious, and smacks of laying down the law for yourself, making sure you “x” things off your list – a goddess of efficiency with plenty of time for Bikram class. As if! This post from my good buddy Ms. Polka Dot is particularly timely, as I realized on my last Destination I Do press trip that I was in danger of not having a life! We have been in App Launch Crazy Town: one after another, from Anti-Bride, to Sea Shepherd and a new one that just went to approval this week, so it’s been a time crunch. Making time to blog daily, or even tweet back to people I really love and miss has been sporadic. But Ms. Polka Dot, who always has her priorities straight, certainly set me straight on what really matters. I decided that I would take a 2 hour hike with my dear friend and new ambiance blogger Melissa Comito Aakre of a Simple Ceremony today (SF’s Top Bridal Florist, SF Chronicle), and then I’m headed to the launch party of dear friend, PR ninja Rena Ramirez of Provocateur Media. So thanking Ms. Polka Dot, it’s time to smell the roses, and this year, I think I’ll be “Anti-Resolution” (surprise, surprise?). There is always more work to do, but finding meaning in every day pleasures is equally important. Take it away, Ms. Polka Dot!
The summer smell is drifting through the room as I write this- the smell of the warm earth, the crackling leaves and sun burnt grass. There’s a different light too- it’s hazy, the heat has pricked the air.
Summer days are long in Australia, they come right after the festive season so the days of cocktails and BBQs can seem endless as we drift through the beginning of the year.
As a bride, January starts the first month of planning for the year. For many, it will be the time of being freshly engaged with a brand new accessory to wear and hopes & dreams on the table.
For others, it’s finally THIS year that their relationship status will change, that the dress will be worn and the vows will be made.
January is also a time of resolutions. As a bride let’s make 2011 the year we resolve to not only be better people, but be better brides!
1. I resolve to be true to myself and my partner and make decisions that reflect us?
2. I resolve to focus on the important things and let the little things go3. I resolve to stand my ground on what is important to me
4. I resolve to understand that my wedding is not just about me and my partner, but a celebration of our families coming together.
5. I resolve to choose my battles
6. I resolve to allow myself to ask for help from my loved ones
7. I resolve to take a deep breath
8. I resolve to remember what planning a wedding is all about
9. I resolve to live in the moment
10. I resolve to remember to plan for the marriage
Credits: Photo by Anan Rose Photography http://www.annarose.com.au/